Out of numerous CBD products making a revolution in the markets, CBD oil has high market demand. Its versatility and potency are some of the factors behind the growing popularity of CBD oil. CBD is a cannabis compound that offers wide-ranging therapeutic benefits to the users. It is extracted from cannabis plants like hemp and marijuana and infused into various formulations to make an attractive variety of CBD products.
The high THC content of marijuana has led to it being excluded from the approved list of CBD sources. As CBD is not the exclusive compound in cannabis plants, a CBD product will contain compounds other than cannabidiol. If a CBD product has more than 0.3% THC, it is not legal as per the US Farm Bill guidelines. Hemp CBD that does not have its THC content exceeding the 0.3% limit is considered legal.
How Is CBD Oil Made?
CBD oil has CBD extract infused in a suitable carrier oil. MCT oil, hemp seed oil, and coconut oil are some common oils used as carriers. Let us take a look at the steps in the manufacturing of CBD oil.
CBD hemp is subjected to a suitable extraction procedure to pull out the essential cannabinoids from it. Reputable CBD companies employ CO2 extraction in the making of their CBD oils due to the high quality and purity level of the CBD oils that the method promises.
CO2 extraction involves the use of CO2 as an extraction solvent to pull hemp compounds. Three types of CO2 extraction are:
- Supercritical extraction: This mode of extraction uses CO2 in the supercritical state. Supercritical CO2 is in between a liquid and gaseous state, which is attained by subjecting CO2 to high pressure and low temperature.
- Subcritical extraction: It involves lower pressure and temperature than that of supercritical extraction.
- Mid-critical extraction: The pressure and temperature used in mid-critical CO2 extraction are in between subcritical and supercritical extraction.
How Does Supercritical Extraction Work?
The steps in supercritical extraction are given below:
- Conversion of gaseous CO2 to liquid state
At standard temperature and pressure, CO2 behaves like a gas. It does not take much effort to convert gaseous CO2 into solid-state. The liquid state of CO2 is less common than its solid and gaseous states. The first step in supercritical CO2 extraction is the conversion of gaseous CO2 to the liquid state by subjecting it to a pressure reaching up to 75 pounds per inch and temperature of -69. The starting point of the extraction process is liquid CO2.
- Conversion of liquid CO2 to supercritical state: The liquid CO2 is compressed and heated by using a compressor and heater respectively to convert it to a supercritical state.
- Passing supercritical CO2 through the plant matter: The plant matter is placed in an extractor. When the supercritical CO2 is passed through the extractor, all essential components are pulled out of the plant matter. When the extracted mixture is passed through a separator, it breaks down into smaller units.
- Sending trichomes to collection receptacle: In this step, the trichomes are sent to the collection receptacle while the CO2 is sent to a condenser. Inside the condenser, the CO2 is turned back into its liquid form that can be used again in the extraction.
- Removal of CO2 left out in the extract: The extract may contain traces of CO2. It can be removed by decreasing the pressure after the extraction process to convert liquid CO2 molecules to gas that escapes freely from the extract.
Purification Of The Extract
The extract obtained after supercritical extraction cannot be used directly as the extreme pressure used in the extraction pulls out everything from hemp plants. They include fats and waxes that are not required in the final product. This possibility necessitates suitable purification procedures. Two key steps in the purification of CBD extract are winterization and short path distillation.
In this process, the hemp extract is mixed into 200 proof alcohol and kept in the freezer overnight. When refrigerated for not less than 24 hours, the mixture turns cloudy. It can be passed through a filter paper with an appropriate porous size to remove the waxes and fats out of the mixture.
After the undesirable elements are filtered out, the alcohol has to be removed from the mixture. It can be done by heating the mixture to the boiling point of alcohol so that it leaves the mixture as vapors.
Short Path Distillation
It is carried out to isolate each compound separately from the extract. Each isolated compound can be used by itself if needed.
How To Take CBD Oils?
The different intake methods of CBD oil include:
Sublingual intake: The oil is measured in the right dosages and placed under the tongue for not less than a minute to allow the cannabidiol in it to reach the bloodstream.
Edibles: CBD oils can be added to edibles to make the CBD edibles that you crave for.
If CBD oil does not maintain high quality, you cannot expect the optimum benefits from it. Select top-quality CBD oil brands for a pleasant CBD experience.